Billy Cannon is a Department Chair and a member of Offit Kurman's Landlord Representation Practice Group. He represents property owners and property management companies in litigation, mediations, administrative agency hearings, leasing, and Fair Housing Act training and compliance. He is certified in Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) compliance and represents many LIHTC properties and other affordable housing providers. Additionally, Mr. Cannon represents sellers and purchasers in both residential and commercial transactions and litigation, with a particular emphasis on compliance with the District of Columbia Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA).
Mr. Cannon is a member of the District of Columbia Bar Association, Maryland Bar Association, and the Real Estate, Housing and Land Use Section of the District of Columbia Bar Association. Mr. Cannon also serves as a mentor for the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program and presents and writes frequently on topics related to property management, Fair Housing and affordable housing management.
Mr. Cannon hosts a one minute weekly video series, The D.C. Property Management Minute, which concentrates on the unique set of laws impacting property managers in the District of Columbia.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Cannon taught English at his alma mater, Gonzaga College High School, from 2001-2008. After law school, Mr. Cannon served as a law clerk to the Honorable William P. Greene, Jr., chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
INTERESTS AND ADVOCATIONS
Currently, Mr. Cannon serves as General Counsel for Property Management Association.
Mr. Cannon is a member of the Barristers, the Gonzaga Business Network and is a past president of the Catholic Business Network of Montgomery County, the Loyola Club of Washington and the Loyola University Maryland Alumni Regional Board.
He also sits on the board for Special Love, a non-profit that provides cancer families a community of support, and the Willie Strong Foundation, a non-profit which raises funds to find a cure for pediatric brain cancer.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
Mr. Cannon was recognized as a Maryland Rising Star from 2012-2018 by Super Lawyers, a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
PRESENTATIONS & ARTICLES
- Legislative & Regulatory Updates that Affect Property Managers & Landlords, February 10, 2021, Presenter
- Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 & How It Affects Property Managers & Landlords, January 7, 2021, Presenter
- The Ever-Changing Law for Landlords in DC, Maryland & Virginia, December 9, 2020, Presenter
- Evictions & Moratoriums, Making Sense of it All, Mid-Atlantic Affordable Housing Management Association, Fall Conference, November 19, 2020, Presenter
- DC Moratorium on Eviction Notices & The Fairness in Renting Emergency Amendment Act, October 26, 2020, Presenter
- Legislative Update: Federal, State & Local Legislation & Orders Affecting Multifamily Housing, PMA Expo, October 20, 2020, Presenter
- District of Columbia Phase II Best Practices, June 5, 2020, Presenter
- Collecting Rent During the COVID-19 Crisis, May 15, 2020, Presenter
- New DC Legislation Affecting Landlords & Property Managers, May 8, 2020, Presenter
- Fair Housing Implications During the COVID-19 Crisis, April 15, 2020, Presenter
- Best Practices for Property Manager, Webinar for IREM, March 25, 2020, Presenter
- Fair Housing Issues in Affordable Housing, Mid-Atlantic Affordable Housing Management Association, Richmond, VA, November 2019, Presenter
- Overview of DC Landlord Tenant Law, National Association of Real Property Managers, Washington, D.C., October 2019, Presenter
- Fair Housing & Harassment, Best Practices, IREM Webinar, September 2019, Presenter
- Fair Housing Update, National Apartment Association, Government Affairs Roundtable and Legal Symposium, Park City, Utah, July 2019, Presenter
- "Fair Housing Best Practices" - National Association of Realtors, 2019 Realtors Legislative Meetings, Property Management Forum, May 2019 Washington, D.C., Presenter
- Fair Housing Seminar, TM Associates Management Maintenance Summit, April 2019, Charlottesville, VA, Presenter
- Fair Housing Presentation, IREM 77 Meeting, February 2019, Arlington, VA, Presenter
- Trending Topics Presentation, IREM Region 3 Education Program, October 2018, Washington, DC, Presenter
- D.C. Landlord Tenant Law Update Seminar, September 2018, Washington D.C., Presenter
- D.C. Landlord Tenant Law Update, Greater Capital Area Association of Realtors, August 2018, Rockville, MD, Presenter
- Best Practices Regarding the Eviction Procedure Reform Emergency Act, Webinar, July 2018, Bethesda, MD, Presenter
- Overview of DC Landlord Tenant Law, National Association of Real Property Managers, May 2018, Washington, D.C.
- "Reminder from the White House for DC Property Owners: Register Your Properties," Property Management Association Bulletin, April 2018, Author
- Best Practices Regarding the Fair Criminal Screening for Housing Act, Webinar, September 2017, Bethesda, MD, Presenter
- Top Litigated Issues in the LIHTC Program & Section 8 Housing, Mid Atlantic Affordable Housing Management Association Conference, May 2017, Rockville, MD, Presenter
- Best Practices Regarding the Residential Lease Clarification Amendment Act, Webinar, April 2017, Bethesda, MD, Presenter