Offit Kurman's Intellectual Property (IP) Group helps dynamic businesses and individuals to develop and protect their IP assets. We can help you through all stages of your IP matters - from concept through development, registration, licensing, marketing, renewals, enforcement and sales. Our comprehensive and strategic approach to IP protection is designed to maximize the value of your IP assets and minimize the related risks.
Our IP team can help you to protect your names, logos, inventions, lists, works and other intangible property - which you likely value as being among your most highly prized assets. We represent individuals, private businesses and public companies to develop IP protection plans of varying complexity which meet the specific needs of each client.
Emerging technologies and intellectual property move at a lightning-fast pace in today's global marketplace. Protecting your IP is as crucial as ever, and is often an indicator of the value of your company’s potential. Our clients turn to us early and often for counsel regarding how to build, expand and profit from their IP portfolios.
Trademarks & Copyrights
- Brand Development, Protection and Enforcement (i.e., trademark and domain name selection counseling, portfolio management services, trademark registration, monitoring, and renewal services)
- Copyright Registration and Fair Use Determinations
- Transactional Support Services (i.e., licensing, due diligence for commercial transactions and security interest agreements)
- Trademark Clearinghouse Registration Services
- Preparing and Filing Patent Applications in Wide Array of Technological Fields Before the USPTO and Worldwide
- Patent Portfolio Development
- Offensive and Defensive Reexaminations Before the USPTO
- Opinions for Freedom-to-Operate Patentability, Infringement and Invalidity
- Patent Licensing and Agreements
- Due Diligence, Competitor Watch Services and Counseling
Privacy & Trade Secrets
- Development, Enforcement and Interpretation of Trade Secret Policies and Procedures
- Data Rights Markings for Government Contractors
- CAN-SPAM, PCI and GLB issues
- Domain-Name Arbitration and Other Internet Disputes
Litigation & Disputes
- Litigation and Disputes Relating to Trademarks, Patents, Copyrights, Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Patent Reexaminations
- Trademark Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
- Cybersquatting and Typo-Squatting Claims
- Domain-Name Arbitration and Other Internet Disputes
How We Do It
We will conduct a comprehensive review of your intellectual property assets and help you determine the appropriate course of action for protecting each such asset.
- IP Audits To Classify Assets and Determine Best Form of Protection
- Branding Counsel and Opinions
- Fair Use Determinations
- Invention Disclosures; Review of Prior Art and Public Disclosures; Opinions for Freedom to Operate, Patentability, Infringement and Invalidity
- Transactional Due Diligence
- Chain of Title Studies
- Assessment of Data Rights and Markings
ebruary 26th is National Fairy Tale Day! When an original version of a legendary story is first published, the writer has created what can become a highly valuable work. Although the copyright in an original published version of a fairy tale is limited to the creator’s words and/or images, others may freely create adaptions of this work after the copyright in the original work has expired. To celebrate this occasion, test your knowledge of some of the world’s most famous fairy tales.
February 15th is the birthday of civil rights pioneer Susan B. Anthony. On this day, we honor our nation’s efforts to promote equal treatment for women. To honor the occasion, test your knowledge of the following items invented by women. Did you know in the early years of our nation’s history a woman could not obtain a patent in her own name because her property was required to be titled in the name of her father or husband?
Valentine’s Day will be here soon!!! To honor the season of love, test your knowledge of these company logos associated with hearts, chocolate and flowers.
February 4 marks the 116th anniversary of the day Charles Lindbergh was born. To honor the first person to fly an airplane across the Atlantic Ocean, test your knowledge of these airline-related logos.
Many NFL teams and players adopt and use nicknames that can be registered with the USPTO or otherwise protected. In honor of Super Bowl LIII to be played on February 3, test your knowledge of these NFL-related nicknames…
January 31 is National Art Day! The copyright in a painting is owned by the artist (or its estate or heirs), unless the painting was made as a work for hire or the copyright was assigned or has expired. Celebrate Art Day by testing your knowledge of these famous paintings
2019 marks the 100th Anniversary of the KITCHENAID® stand mixer and its related iconic brand. In honor of this brand reaching the “century mark,” test your knowledge of company names that are now more than 100 years old.
Are you challenged by a complex legal issue or situation? Need help protecting your family or business in the face of legal threats? Looking for ways to preserve and improve your personal or business assets? Or maybe you just have a tough legal question that requires the expert perspective of an experienced attorney … Whatever the case may be, Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law is your perfect legal partner. Simply fill out the form below to access the knowledgeable legal guidance that our team of experienced attorneys has to offer.