Offit Kurman's Intellectual Property (IP) Group helps dynamic businesses and individuals to develop and protect their IP assets. We can help you through all stages of your IP matters - from concept through development, registration, licensing, marketing, renewals, enforcement and sales. Our comprehensive and strategic approach to IP protection is designed to maximize the value of your IP assets and minimize the related risks.
Our IP team can help you to protect your names, logos, inventions, lists, works and other intangible property - which you likely value as being among your most highly prized assets. We represent individuals, private businesses and public companies to develop IP protection plans of varying complexity which meet the specific needs of each client.
Emerging technologies and intellectual property move at a lightning-fast pace in today's global marketplace. Protecting your IP is as crucial as ever, and is often an indicator of the value of your company’s potential. Our clients turn to us early and often for counsel regarding how to build, expand and profit from their IP portfolios.
Trademarks & Copyrights
- Brand Development, Protection and Enforcement (i.e., trademark and domain name selection counseling, portfolio management services, trademark registration, monitoring, and renewal services)
- Copyright Registration and Fair Use Determinations
- Transactional Support Services (i.e., licensing, due diligence for commercial transactions and security interest agreements)
- Trademark Clearinghouse Registration Services
- Preparing and Filing Patent Applications in Wide Array of Technological Fields Before the USPTO and Worldwide
- Patent Portfolio Development
- Offensive and Defensive Reexaminations Before the USPTO
- Opinions for Freedom-to-Operate Patentability, Infringement and Invalidity
- Patent Licensing and Agreements
- Due Diligence, Competitor Watch Services and Counseling
Privacy & Trade Secrets
- Development, Enforcement and Interpretation of Trade Secret Policies and Procedures
- Data Rights Markings for Government Contractors
- CAN-SPAM, PCI and GLB issues
- Domain-Name Arbitration and Other Internet Disputes
Litigation & Disputes
- Litigation and Disputes Relating to Trademarks, Patents, Copyrights, Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Patent Reexaminations
- Trademark Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
- Cybersquatting and Typo-Squatting Claims
- Domain-Name Arbitration and Other Internet Disputes
How We Do It
We will conduct a comprehensive review of your intellectual property assets and help you determine the appropriate course of action for protecting each such asset.
- IP Audits To Classify Assets and Determine Best Form of Protection
- Branding Counsel and Opinions
- Fair Use Determinations
- Invention Disclosures; Review of Prior Art and Public Disclosures; Opinions for Freedom to Operate, Patentability, Infringement and Invalidity
- Transactional Due Diligence
- Chain of Title Studies
- Assessment of Data Rights and Markings
Who We Are
Intellectual Property Attorneys
May 31, 2020, marks the 201st anniversary of the birth date for Walt Whitman, one of America’s best-known poets. Great poetry is a treasured intellectual property asset and protected by copyright laws. To honor Walt Whitman and his artistic colleagues, take this quiz to test your knowledge of America’s finest poets.
May is National Inventors Month! To mark the occasion, test your knowledge of the birthdays, invention dates and patent issue…
To honor medical workers who work tirelessly to keep us healthy, test your knowledge of these medical workers who have…
We made it to May – the fifth month of the year! To mark the occasion, test your knowledge of…
Many people these days are pursuing new interests or walking an unchartered path. John Lennon famously said that “life is…
Now more than ever, people are listening to popular songs in order to lift their spirits. Several years ago, a professor of neuroscience in The Netherlands (Dr. Jacob Jolij) analyzed the results of a British survey of top “feel-good” songs in an effort to identify a formula to separate feel-good songs from other music. While feel-good songs are a matter of personal preference, Jolij observed that music generally recognized as feel-good songs: (1) have average tempos in the 140-150 BPM (beats per minute) range, which is higher than the average of 118 BPM for typical pop songs; (2) are written in major keys; and (3) include lyrics about happy or positive subjects. Although this formula is admittedly imprecise and not scientifically reliable, test your knowledge of the intellectual property behind the works listed on Dr. Jolij’s list of Top 10 Feel-Good Songs:
While engaged in social distancing, many people rely on well-recognized comfort food brands to calm their nerves. With this in mind, it’s time to entertain yourself with the following quiz regarding the intellectual property behind these iconic comfort food brands:
Are you challenged by a complex legal issue or situation? Need help protecting your family or business in the face of legal threats? Looking for ways to preserve and improve your personal or business assets? Or maybe you just have a tough legal question that requires the expert perspective of an experienced attorney … Whatever the case may be, Offit Kurman Attorneys At Law is your perfect legal partner. Simply fill out the form below to access the knowledgeable legal guidance that our team of experienced attorneys has to offer.