“No family legal issue is too difficult to solve. My goal is to help my clients feel calm and confident in the face of any dispute—and to develop practical solutions for families’ long-term futures. My work is only done when all the pieces have fallen into place.”
— Kate McQueen
Catherine H. “Kate” McQueen is a Principal attorney in the Family Law Practice Group. She is licensed to practice in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Ms. McQueen focuses her practice on the many legal issues that impact families, including all the issues arising out of a divorce, such as custody, child support, alimony, and other financial and property issues. She also has extensive experience in guardianship matters for children and incapacitated adults, including assisting clients in petitioning for guardianship, serving as court-appointed counsel for alleged disabled persons, and serving as court-appointed guardian for individuals when their family members or friends are unwilling or unable to do so.
Families with whom Ms. McQueen has worked describe her as a compassionate and responsive problem solver who calmly guides clients through the often difficult and emotionally fraught path of family disputes. Ms. McQueen has a family of her own and understands the value of a reasoned, practical, “big-picture” approach that achieves results without generating additional tensions or costs. Sometimes litigation is unavoidable, and when necessary, she draws on her extensive litigation experience to advocate for clients in court. Most times, though, a creative resolution can be found that allows clients to control the outcome for their family and preserve family resources for the future, rather than expending family resources on litigation.
Over the course of her 16-year career, Ms. McQueen has built a strong track record of steering clients away from the toxic hostilities that can arise from family law disputes and focusing on the future for their family, helping clients foster positive family relationships moving forward. She also offers her services at competitive rates compared to other attorneys who possess her same level of experience.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
- Named to the "Best Lawyers in America" listing in the Family Law category in 2018 and 2020
- From 2015 to present Ms. McQueen has been named to Maryland Super Lawyers and Washington DC Super Lawyers, two lists of attorneys who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement
- Ms. McQueen has also been named to Maryland Super Lawyers Top 50 Women list in 2018-2020 and to Maryland Super Lawyers Top 100 list in 2019-2020
- "Guardianships" at Senior Services Alliance Breakfast in Rockville, MD, June 2019
- "Guardianships" at meeting of chapter of American Association of Daily Money Managers, Olney, MD, April 2019
- “What to do when your child turns 18” at meeting of Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School PTSA, February 2019
- “Navigating the Pitfalls of Guardianship Litigation” at meeting of Montgomery County Inns of Court, October 2018
Prior to joining Offit Kurman, Kate was an associate at a respected Bethesda firm where she practiced Civil Litigation, Family Law, and Construction Litigation.
"Spiritual and Religious Activities Offer Another Way to Connect with Dementia Patients and Enrich Their Lives"
Dementia patients and their families both experience loss, with the patient often frustrated at the loss of ability and independence,…
As a family lawyer, people often ask me the most common reasons that my clients go through a divorce. The…
Even if you don’t have a prenuptial agreement, you may still be able to protect property that you brought into…View All