Homeowner and Community Association Law
Between governance, collection of dues, and disputes with members, homeowner associations (HOAs) and community associations face unique legal challenges. To resolve matters efficiently and cost-effectively, clients turn to Offit Kurman for guidance on every aspect of homeowner, condominium, and community association law.
Collection of Delinquent Dues
Although various methods can be used for the collection of delinquent dues, experience has taught us that the claim of lien/foreclosure process is the most efficient and cost-effective. We have systemized much of this process, and as a result of these efficiencies, we are able to render these services on a flat-fee basis.
Our practice also represents HOAs in bankruptcy court against homeowners who have filed for bankruptcy. Our collection attorneys can file a claim on behalf of the association, monitor the progress of the case, and take action when necessary to protect the association’s interests in the event of an HOA foreclosure. Fees can often be recouped from the homeowner’s bankruptcy plan.
We act as general counsel to associations on matters such as the following:
- Assisting associations with board governance issues
- Creating and organizing homeowners’ associations for developers
- Drafting, interpreting, enforcing, and amending declarations, restrictive covenants, by-laws, and other governing documents
- Attending community association meetings to advise and train boards and management on governance, compliance, best practices, and other related issues
- Real estate transactions, title disputes, and condemnation/eminent domain proceedings by local and state governments
- General litigation and dispute resolution
How We Do It
Anchored by Offit Kurman’s broader Real Estate Law and Transactions Practice Group, our attorneys provide assistance in the entire spectrum of homeowner, condominium, and community association law.
Who We Do It For
Offit Kurman has represented hundreds of communities in the regions we serve, helping to facilitate the claim of liens, foreclosure actions, and the timely collection of delinquent dues, all while supporting strong community association management. We work with property management firms and associations that are self-managed.