C. Thomas (“Tom”) Hicks III has more than 35 years business law practice experience in Northern Virginia. Mr. Hicks represents business clients in all their legal needs, working with the management team as outside general counsel, and otherwise coordinating the company’s general legal needs. Mr. Hicks assists the organizers with choice of business entity and organization, initial and private equity financing and debt financing. He advises the management team regarding corporate governance, executive employment and compensation matters, contract matters, business acquisitions, equity and asset sales and merger, and business breakups and dissolutions of business entities, among other legal areas. He also advises business executives and companies regarding stock and other equity benefit plans, and wealth planning and asset protection. Mr. Hicks has advised commercial real estate developers in all legal aspects of their business.
Mr. Hicks’ clients include emerging technology companies, government contractors, lending institutions and commercial real estate development firms. His work with technology companies and other growing businesses includes venture capital financing and private placements of equity and debt, as well as providing assistance with technology transfers, joint ventures and service contracts. He has advised and assisted commercial real estate clients in all aspects of their real estate development legal needs, including acquisitions, finance, sales, leasing and land use. He has also represented lenders, builders and commercial real estate developers in loan workouts, restructuring and bankruptcy.
Mr. Hicks is a Preferred Advisor to The Association for Enterprise Growth, a non-profit organization that provides mid-market business owners, CEOs and their executive management teams with access to resources and best practices for implementation in growth and exit planning, including sale, merger, use of ESOPS and other succession planning. Mr. Hicks served in the United States Marine Corps Reserve, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Presenter, Virginia CLE, March 8th 2019 “Update on Corporate and LLC Organizational Practice and Forms"
- Author: “Choosing a Virginia Business Entity,” a Virginia Practice Handbook, Virginia Law Foundation
- Co-Author: “Limited Liability Companies in Virginia,” a Virginia Practice Handbook, Virginia Law Foundation
- Frequent Speaker, Virginia Law Foundation Continuing Legal Education Programs, 1976-2002, 2010-2017
- General Counsel, Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, 2012-present
- Faculty Member, Virginia State Bar’s Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course, 2009-2012
- Former co-chair Virginia Governor’s Venture Capital Roundtable, 1999-2001
- Board Member and General Counsel (1999 – 2001), Northern Virginia Technology Council
- General Counsel, Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts, 1998-2001
- Board Member and President (1990), Northern Virginia Chapter, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Former Board Member, Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce
- Founder, First President and Former Board Member of the Virginia Association for Commercial Real Estate
- Former Executive Committee Member, Vice President, and General Counsel of the Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance
- Former Board Member of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington, D.C.
- Former General Counsel and Advisory Board Member of the Draper Atlantic Venture Fund