Matthew D’Annunzio represents business entities in complex commercial litigation matters and serves as national coordinating counsel with respect to tort, indemnification and insurance issues. He has extensive experience advising clients and litigating disputes with regard to business fraud, unfair competition, indemnification and insurance, employment, trade secrets and contract issues for clients in various industries, including real estate, information technology, insurance, banking, chemical, healthcare, bioenergy and manufacturing. Mr. D’Annunzio represents plaintiffs in matters involving catastrophic injury and loss of life including product liability and medical malpractice cases.
Mr. D'Annunzio recently served as Co-Chair for Friends Select School Capital Campaign. In 2008, Mr. D'Annunzio was selected to serve on the National Credentials Committee as part of the Pennsylvania Delegation to the Democratic National Convention. He was a member of the Mid-Atlantic Finance Committee during the presidential campaign of President Barack Obama. He serves on the Yale Alumni Schools Committee.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Mr. D'Annunzio is recognized by SmartCEO Magazine's Legal Elite as a top 100 go to attorney in the Philadelphia area who "exemplifies best practices and outstanding legal advice" as chosen by a survey of 15,000 CEOs. He was recognized by The Legal Intelligencer as one of the top legal lateral hires in Philadelphia in 2011.
Mr. D'Annunzio was named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer® in 2015 and 2016 by a vote of his peers.
- Defense of action against a utility for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty involving a joint venture in a natural gas/steam co-gen plant;
- Obtained dismissal of action asserting claims for indemnification under asset purchase agreement for sale of a manufacturing division with respect to 20,000 toxic tort claims filed against successor;
- Advice concerning litigation, indemnification, and insurance implications of sale of a manufacturing division engaged in production of industrial chemical mixers;
- Contract disputes related to breakup of national wholesale distributorship network involving lawn and garden products;
- Trade secret action by chemical manufacturer against former employee and foreign competitor involving misappropriation of acid inhibitor formula for steel industry with cross border litigation;
- National coordinating counsel regarding commercial litigation and toxic tort claims for family of companies engaged in manufacturing of precision gears and chemical mixers;
- Successful defense of a demand for arbitration on a note provided in the acquisition of an automated trading desk business and assertion of set offs and cross claims based on a breach of warranties and fraud in the inducement resulting in withdrawal of the demand;
- Defense of a cardiology group regarding claims asserted by a key employee resulting in a negotiated separation agreement;
- Representation of plaintiffs in Loretta Foster Thompson et. al. v. Lasko Products Inc. (April Term 2007, No. 000391, Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County) for wrongful death and survival act claims due to the death of seven-year-old Joshua Foster in a fire caused by a defective floor fan and for injuries and emotional distress suffered by his mother and sister, resulting in a jury verdict of $13.5M. Phila. Jury Reaches $13.5 Mil. Verdict in Products Case;
- Defense of an investor taking an assignment of a mortgage and confessed judgments on guarantees with respect to a $6M fraud action alleging a conspiracy with a lender resulting in summary dismissal of all claims in multiple actions in U.S. Bankruptcy Court and state courts;
- Obtained injunction on behalf of software company against key employee working for competitor;
- Representation of parents and their infant in medical malpractice action for obstetrical negligence resulting in brain injuries causing cerebral palsy resolved by a multimillion dollar settlement at trial;
- Obtained multimillion dollar recovery for parents’ loss of a child in a drowning;
- Obtained multimillion dollar jury verdict in representation of plaintiff in medical malpractice case for failing to diagnose lung cancer.
- Prevailed in Orphans’ Court trial in defending an estate against a multimillion dollar claim; and
- Obtained substantial confidential settlement during product liability trial for injuries from an exploding pressure cooker.