Lisa Seltzer Becker began practicing law in 1996. Her practice has always focused on Family Law and Education Law.
As an experienced Family Law attorney, Lisa has helped numerous clients in Maryland and the District of Columbia with their divorce and custody matters. As an experienced litigator, Lisa is also a trained Collaborative practitioner and a skilled negotiator. She uses these skills whenever possible to reach an agreement outside the courtroom, so as to obtain the best outcome for her clients in the most cost-efficient manner. Lisa is a trained mediator and offers this service for divorce and custody cases.
In her Family Law practice Lisa is experienced in:
- High-asset and high-income individuals in divorce;
- High-conflict divorces and custody cases;
- Post-divorce enforcement and custody modifications;
- Representing parents of special needs children in custody cases.
- Representing clients who have experienced domestic violence;
- Drafting and negotiating premarital and post-marital agreements.
In her Education practice, Lisa has been successful in preventing students from expulsion and obtaining settlements removing suspensions from students’ records and representing college students in Title IX hearings. She can meet with clients in either the Offit Kurman Bethesda, Baltimore or Maple Lawn office.
In her Education Law practice Lisa is experienced in:
- Public school disciplinary and special education matters;
- Public school bullying, sexual harassment, and transfer matters;
- Representing students and families against county public school systems throughout Maryland, including Montgomery County Public Schools and Howard County Public School System, as well as private schools;
- College and university sexual misconduct/Title IX cases;
- College and university academic misconduct (cheating and plagiarism) cases;
- Suspension and expulsion hearings and appeals for middle, high school and college students.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
- Bethesda Magazine Top Attorneys, 2019 for both Family Law and School/Education categories. This recognition honors the region's most respected legal practitioner, as chosen by their peers.
- Presenter “Family Law from Start to Finish,” NBI, Inc. CLE seminar, Baltimore, Maryland, July 2019
- Presenter, “Special Education Legal Updates,” NBI, Inc. seminar, Rockville, Maryland, March 2018
- Presenter, CLE on Religion and Divorce. Family Law Section of the Bar Association of Montgomery County, September 2015
- Presenter and co-author of manual, “Maryland Special Education Law,” NBI, Inc. seminar, Baltimore and Rockville, Maryland, June 2013
“I understand that my clients are often facing overwhelming and life-changing problems. I am compassionate to their needs while relentlessly advocating on their behalf.”
— Lisa Becker
In Maryland, there are two forms of child custody: physical and legal. Legal custody is the decision-making authority to make…
"Offit Kurman Family Law Attorney Lisa Seltzer Becker to Present at National Business Institute Seminar"
Offit Kurman Family Law Attorney Lisa Seltzer Becker to Present at National Business Institute Seminar Bethesda MD | June…
Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. This…View All