David Coaxum’s practice as a family law attorney focuses on the negotiation, settlement, and litigation of complex domestic matters in Maryland and the District of Columbia. As a well-respected lawyer, Mr. Coaxum has a wealth of experience in matters concerning complex asset and property distribution, alimony, and child custody and access issues. Mr. Coaxum also prepares and negotiates complex separation and property settlement agreements. He handles difficult and profile matters in the metropolitan area and is particularly adept at assisting clients in navigating crises that present significant legal, business, and reputational risks. While family law is his primary practice area, Mr. Coaxum’s clientele also includes business and corporate entities for whom he serves as legal counsel and advisor. Mr. Coaxum’s unique experience includes handling multifaceted business disputes and litigation matters, including high profile defamation claims, employment disputes, and contract claims.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Recognized in The National Black Lawyers Top 100, May 2018
- Featured member in Maryland State Bar Association, February 2018
- Featured member of the Maryland State Bar Association in February 2018 for his continual service to the legal community as an adjunct law professor.
- Since 2015 he has been named to Maryland Super Lawyers, a list of attorneys who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
- Since March 2018, he has served as an At-Large Board Member of the Howard County Bar Association and is the current Vice-Chair of its Judicial Nominating Committee.
- From 2010 to 2016, Mr. Coaxum served on the board of directors for the Maryland Pro Bono Resource Center, Maryland’s only statewide non-profit clearinghouse for legal professionals dedicated to offering free civil legal help to the most vulnerable and disenfranchised members of our community. He is also a former board member to HopeWorks, Howard County’s sexual assault and domestic violence center that provides critical services to families affected by domestic violence.
- From 2009 to 2017 he has also served as treasurer to the Prince George’s County Political Committee to Re-Elect Sitting Judges and served as political committee treasurer to other Judges in campaigns to retain judicial seats in Howard County.
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Howard County Bar Association
- Member, J. Franklin Bourne Bar Association
- Former Ethics panel member, Maryland State Attorney Grievance Commission
- Treasurer, Prince George's County Committee to Elect Sitting Judges (2009 – 2017)
- Campaign Treasurer, Circuit Court Judges, Howard County (2012 Presidential Election)
- Adjunct Professor, Howard University School of Law
- Former Board Member, of the Howard County Domestic Violence Center
- Former Board Member, Maryland Pro Bono Resources Center (PBRC)
- Member, Offit Kurman Diversity Committee
- Member, Offit Kurman Foundation (funding non-profit organizations)
Prior to joining Offit Kurman, Mr. Coaxum served as a Partner with a distinguished Maryland-based full-service law firm. He has also previously worked as corporate counsel for a publicly traded 1st tier telecommunications company.