Bettina D. Hindin is an accomplished and experienced matrimonial litigator, recognized for her skill and expertise in the investigation and analysis of the complex financial issues that arise in matrimonial, domestic relations, and LGBTQIA matters. She is an acknowledged expert in the field and has appeared often as a commentator on these issues for MSNBC and CNN.
Ms. Hindin’s experience in handling diverse transactional matters in all areas of domestic relations, LGBTQIA law, and family law, including divorce, separation, annulment, maintenance, child support, support modification, custody, visitation, relocation, paternity, equitable distribution, and asset valuation. Outside of the courtroom, Ms. Hindin's extensive experience also includes the negotiation of pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, settlement agreements, and non-martial agreements.
She has successfully tried a myriad of matrimonial, child custody, and support cases before the Family Courts and the Supreme Courts of the State of New York and argued appeals in the appellate courts of the state. Ms. Hindin provides clients with all of the requisite elements of matrimonial counseling on the most sophisticated level. A forceful litigator, she is particularly attuned to the interplay of litigation and settlement techniques required to produce optimal results.
Ms. Hindin has received the highest, AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell in professionalism and ethics, in both peer rating and judiciary rating categories for over 15 years; she has been recognized as a Super Lawyer,® since 2009, a distinction awarded to the top five percent of the lawyers in the state; has consistently received an Avvo “10” Rating, has been named to the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, has been recognized as one of New York’s Women Leaders in the Law, and has been selected as one of the Tri-state's Top Family Law Practitioners, and Top Attorneys in Metro New York.
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLISHED MATTERS
- Braverman v Braverman, 140 A.D.3d 413, 33 N.Y.S.3d 39 (1st 2016)
- Margaret A. v Shawn B. 2011 NY Slip Op 21090 [31 Misc. 3d 769], Decided on March 15, 2011, Supreme Court, Westchester County Connolly, J.
- Kaplan v. Kaplan, 51 A.D.3d 635, 857 N.Y.S.2d 677 (2d Dept. 2008)
- Levine v. Levine, 37 A.D.2d 550, 830 N.Y.S.2d 252 (2d Dept. 2007)
- T. v. Dash, 37 A.D.2d 107, 827 N.Y.S.2d 112 (1st Dept. 2006)
- Elizabeth T.L. v. Jeffrey C.L., 24 A.D. 3d 270, 8080 N.Y.S.2d 180 (1st 2005)
- In the Matter of C.M., 6 Misc.3d 361, 789 N.Y.S.2d 393 (Sup.Ct., N.Y.Co. 2004)
- Bartek v. Draper, 309 A.D.2d 825, 765 N.Y.S.2d 893 (2d Dept. 2003)
- Jackson v. Jackson, 306 A.D.2d 182, 763 N.Y.S.2d 545 (1st 2003)
- Greenfield v. Greenfield, 270 A.D.2d 57, 704 N.Y.S.2d 55 (1st 2000)
- Markard v. Markard, 206 A.D.2d 512, 615 N.Y.S.2d 280 (2d Dept. 1994)
- Spiegel v. Quality Bakers of America Cooperative, Inc., 1992 WL 349799 (S.D.N.Y. 1992).
HONORS & AWARDS
- 2008-2020 - Women at the Forefront of New York Law and Practice, New York Women Leaders in The Law, New York Magazine
- 2009-2020 - New York Metro Area Super Lawyer, New York Metro Area Super Lawyers
- 2009-2020 - Judicial and Lawyer Editions -- Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards, AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- 2014-2020 - New York Metro Area Super Lawyer, New York Metro Area Top Women Super Lawyers
- 2013-2020 - Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, Martindale Hubbell
- 2017 Hofstra University Alumni Achievement Award
- 30th Year Anniversary -- Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards, AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale Hubbell, 2020
- For more recent Offit Kurman Publications, scroll to the bottom of my bio page.
- “Issues Unique To High Net-Worth Same-Sex Relationships,” Aspatore/Westlaw Practice Series, 2013.
- “Divorce Economics In Difficult Financial Times,” New York Law Journal, August 9, 2010
- “Protecting Same-Sex Clients And Their Families,” New York Law Journal, June 6, 2005
- "A Different Kind of Divorce,” New York Law Journal's New Partners Section, February 7, 2005
- "Redefining the Meanings of Family, Parenthood in Same-Sex Relationships,” New York Law Journal's Matrimonial Law Section, June 7, 2004
- "Avoiding the Witness Crash-and-Burn Syndrome,” New York Law Journal's Matrimonial Law Section, July 14, 2003
- "Finally on the Right Track,” New York Law Journal Magazine, Vol. 2, No.1, February 2003
- "Need for Experts in Divorce Intensifies,” New York Law Journal's Litigation Section, October 15, 2002
- "Time to Effectively Penalize Failure to Disclose Assets,” New York Law Journal's Matrimonial Law Section, July 15, 2002
NEWS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Television, Radio, and Print:
- E! News: Expert Commentator: Family and LGBT Law
- Reuters News: Expert Commentator: Family and LGBT Law
- CNN: Expert Commentator: Family and LGBT Law
- E! News: The Katie Holmes/Tom Cruise Divorce, August 2012; July 2012
- “Reuters News” Celebrity Divorce, August 2012
- “New York Marriage Bill Paves the Way for Same-Sex Divorce,” New York, Reuters, June 24, 2011.
- “After Same-Sex Marriage, Same-Sex Divorce,” The New York Times, June 27, 2011.
- “The Best Prenuptial Stories: Showbiz Tonight” CNN with Brooke Anderson
- “The Mills/McCartney Divorce Battle” MSNBC
- “On the Air with Alex Metz,” Syndicated Radio Show, guest speaker on prenuptial agreements
- “Cliff and Company,” KSON Radio, frequent guest speaker on celebrity and high-profile matrimonial cases.
- “MSNBC Radio,” frequent guest commentator on high profile matrimonial cases.
- “The New Frontier for Same-Sex Unions: The DOMA Decision and Beyond,” The WCBA Domestic Relations & Family Law Section and Diversity Committee, 2013.
- "From Stonewall to Stonewalled," Marriage vs. Co-Habitation, LGBTQ Law, 2009 Law Conference
- "Protecting Your Rights in A Same-Sex Relationship," Out@TimeInc., Time Magazine, 2008.
- "Beyond Ozzie and Harriet: Representing Non-Traditional Couples in the Paterson Era," Marriage, Cohabitation and Divorce, New York Law School, November 2008.