Zip Edwards is a commercial litigator working primarily in the resolution of disputes involving real estate property, including concentrations in the following areas: coverage opinions and representation of title insurance companies; defense counsel for insureds; defalcation and fraud recovery; mechanics lien defense; resolution of access, easement and boundary issues; subrogation litigation; and title curative measures.
Zip addresses these issues in all forums, including regularly representing clients in bankruptcy adversary proceedings arising out of real estate and lien priority disputes. She also provides malpractice defense for attorneys, focusing on claims and litigation arising out of real estate transactions.
She uses her experience in real estate law, creditors’ rights, foreclosures, litigation, construction law and bankruptcy to provide her clients with effective and efficient representation and to craft comprehensive and practical solutions to real estate problems.
Successfully represented a title insurance company in a three-week jury trial involving the alleged wrongful termination of an agency agreement.
Represented a title insurance company in addressing multimillion-dollar mortgage fraud.
Regularly serves as coverage counsel in title insurance coverage disputes in North Carolina.
Regularly represents title insurance companies in complex recoupment claims in North Carolina.
- McLemore v. Branch Banking & Trust Co., 2000 U.S. App. LEXIS 7838 (4th Cir. 2000) Affirmed the granting of lender client’s Motion to Dismiss various lender liability related claims and the imposition of sanctions on opposing party and opposing party’s counsel.
- Bob McLemore & Co. v. Maco Homes, Inc. (In re Maco Homes, Inc.), 180 F.3d 163 (4th Cir. 1999). Affirmed dismissal of opposing parties claims against lender client on the basis of the opposing parties lack of standing to assert same.
- Bob McLemore & Co. v Branch Banking & Trust Co., 1996 U.S. App LEXIS 23937 (4th Cir. 1996). Affirmed summary judgment dismissal of lender liability claims against client.
- Piraino Bros., LLC v. Atl. Fin. Group, Inc., 211 N.C. App. 343; 712 S.E.2d 328 (2011) Successfully defended attorney and law firm in legal malpractice action, arising out of a multimillion dollar real estate transaction, through trial and appeal (and affirmation) of verdict in clients’ favor.
- Stanford v. Paris, 209 N.C. App. 173; 703 S.E.2d 488 (2011); Review denied by Stanford v. Paris, 365 N.C. 207, 710 S.E.2d 14, (N.C., June 15, 2011). Successfully defended executor in action brought by heirs challenging terms of a will and title to real property.
- Ford v. Mann, 201 N.C. App. 714; 690 S.E.2d 281 (2010). Successfully defended developer/property owner against claims relating to the applicability of restrictive covenants.
- Dorothy Wrenn Schieler v. James R. Campbell, 2006 N.C. App. LEXIS 851 (2006) Successfully obtained a judicial declaration for an easement by necessity over and across defendant's property.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & PUBLICATIONS
Zip is a regular lecturer and seminar leader on real property related topics and issues ranging from mortgage fraud to case law updates for organizations such as the North Carolina Land Title Association, Mecklenburg County Bar and the North Carolina Bar Association.
- Zip Edwards presented at the NCLTA 40th Annual Convention - "Claims: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"
- Zip Edwards: Title Insurance Litigation Committee Member Spotlight.
- Zip Edwards presented at the North Carolina Bar Association Annual Review 2016.
- Mecklenburg County Bar 2016 Annual Review - Zip Edwards presented the "Real Property Case Law Update" on Friday, February 5.
- Zip Edward Co-Authors Article: By adding this provision to the covered risks, per ALTA’s commentary on its forms, “the insured now has survey coverage for the first time, ‘absent a Survey Exception in Schedule B’”.
- North Carolina Bar Association 2015 Annual Review - Zip Edwards presented the Real Property and Family Law Updates at the 2015 North Carolina Bar Association Annual Review.
- North Carolina Land Title Association 2015 Annual Convention - Zip Edwards, Amy Hunt and Rob McNeill represented Horack Talley at the North Carolina Land Title Association (NCLTA) 2015 Annual Convention in Asheville, NC September 10-12.
- Women Flex into Success - Zip Edwards, litigation practice co-chair, was quoted in the American Bar Association's publication Perspectives. "Women Flex into Success," written by G.M. Filkko, was published by the ABA's Commission on Women in the Profession in their summer 2015 edition.
- North Carolina Bar Association Annual Review 2014.
- North Carolina Land Title Association 2014 Annual Meeting - Litigation practice group co-chair Zip Edwards spoke at the 2014 North Carolina Land Title Association Annual Meeting, September 11-12 in Charleston, SC. She participated in the Real Property Case Law Update portion of the program.
- Real Property Practical Skills: From A to Z.
- Fidelity National Financial invites Zip Edwards to speak at in-house litigation meeting and CLE.
- Zip Edwards speaks at NCBA's Real Property Section 2012 annual meeting. Zip presented a case law update, including an in-depth look at some of the most applicable cases to real property from the past 12-18 months, as well as a title litigator's hindsight analysis and tips to prevent problems in the future, and practical advice on the changing nature of title assertions and litigation.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, Insurance Coverage, Professional Liability, 2018, 2019
- Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Litigation, 2019