- This event has passed.
Planning and Protections For the Special Needs Child
March 2 at 12:00 pm EST
Navigating the world of special needs arrangements and custody can be complicated and confusing. However it is critical for parents to have a legal agenda in order for their child to reach his or her full potential and to ensure a smooth transition into their adulthood and beyond.
Join Offit Kurman Family Law and Estate Planning attorneys for a free webinar and walk away knowing the steps and tools necessary to protect and improve the lives of children with special needs.
Topics to be addressed:
- Legal Custody Issues - How to Assure Your Special Needs Child is Protected and Advocated For:
- Physical custody schedule considerations.
- Legal custody issues, including decision making issues regarding special education and accommodations, medication and treatment.
- How Does Receiving Child Support Affect Your Special Needs Child If They Are Receiving Government Benefits:
- Child support and the special needs child.
- How does a special needs child’s extraordinary expenses factor in to child support?
- What happens to child support when the child ages out?
- Child support and how child support affects a special needs trust.
- Estate Planning When You Have a Special Needs Child:
- Special Needs Trusts.
- Preserving Home Property for Named Guardian.
- Titling of Non-Probate Assets.
- Protecting Your Child’s Government Benefits from Potential Inheritance from Other Family.
- Guardianship vs. Powers of Attorney and Advance Medical Directives.
- Ensuring Agent under Power of Attorney has Health Insurance/Government Benefits. Information; Healthcare Providers’ Information; and Medical Supplies Information.
MEET THE PRESENTERS
Lisa Seltzer Becker
firstname.lastname@example.org | 240.507.1780
As an experienced Family Law and Education Law attorney, Lisa Becker has helped numerous clients in Maryland and the District of Columbia with their divorce and custody matters. As an experienced litigator, Ms. Becker is also a trained Collaborative practitioner and a skilled negotiator. She uses these skills whenever possible to reach an agreement outside the courtroom, so as to obtain the best outcome for her clients in the most cost-efficient manner. Ms. Becker is a trained mediator and offers this service for divorce and custody cases.
email@example.com | 410.209.6466
Brianna Jarrett practices in the areas of elder law and estate planning, including estate planning for individuals who have special needs or who serve as caregivers for people who have special needs. Brianna earned a Bachelor of Social Work from Messiah College in 2007, and then pursued a Juris Doctor at Widener University, where she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Widener Law Journal, and graduated magna cum laude in May 2010. After her admission to the Maryland Bar in December 2010, she became a practicing attorney with Nomiki Bouloubassis Weitzel & Assocs., and continued there as an Associate before joining the Estates and Trusts team at Offit Kurman in 2018. Brianna is also a proud Baltimore native and working mother of three children.
K. Mitchell Kelling
firstname.lastname@example.org | 704.377.7213
Mitchell Kelling’s practice is devoted to family law, representing clients throughout Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Union, and the surrounding counties.
Mitchell is certified as a family law specialist by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization and regularly focuses on issues relating to:
- Child support
- Equitable distribution of property
- Litigation of financial disputes
- Mediation and arbitration for others
- Post-nuptial agreements
- Premarital agreements
- Separation agreements and property settlements
ABOUT OFFIT KURMAN
At Offit Kurman, we are our clients’ most trusted legal advisors, professionals who help maximize and protect business value and personal wealth. In every interaction, we focus on furthering our clients’ objectives and provide timely services and within budget, all while focusing on the clients’ interests and goals.
Offit Kurman is one of the fastest-growing, full-service law firms in the United States. With over 230 attorneys offering a comprehensive range of services in virtually every legal category, the firm is well-positioned to meet dynamic businesses' needs, as well as the needs of the people who own and operate them. We also provide representation of individuals and families in diverse matters ranging from estate planning and asset protection to intellectual property structuring and entrepreneurial start-ups. Our International Group provides clients with a broad range of services for transactions and dispute representation for clients worldwide, including Europe, Canada, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa.
At Offit Kurman, we distinguish ourselves by the quality, breadth, and global reach of our legal services — as well as our unique operational structure, which encourages a culture of collaboration and entrepreneurialism. The same approach that makes our firm attractive to legal practitioners interested in representing clients in the middle market, also gives clients access to experienced counsel in almost every area of the law and in many jurisdictions in the U.S. and abroad
Subscribe and follow us on our Blog, and on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn. You can also sign up to receive LawMatters, Offit Kurman’s monthly newsletter covering a diverse selection of legal and corporate thought leadership content.
DELAWARE | MARYLAND | NEW JERSEY | NEW YORK | NORTH CAROLINA | PENNSYLVANIA |SOUTH CAROLINA | VIRGINIA | WASHINGTON, DC