As a New Jersey Child Custody Attorney, I am often asked if a parent can travel to another country with their children.
- International travel can be addressed in a settlement agreement.
- If there is concern that one parent might flee the jurisdiction with the children, a parent may consider obtaining a court order preventing international travel while the divorce is pending.
- If the children don’t have passports, the non-traveling parent’s consent to apply for it is necessary in many cases.
- Among the important considerations that a parent must discuss with an attorney are: If the children travel internationally, are there countries they should not visit? How long may they be out of the country? How much prior notice does the other parent need before the children depart?
- These issues can become highly contested – both during and post-divorce.
Do you want to take your child on vacation to another country but your ex is saying no? Contact a New Jersey Child Custody Attorney Tanya L. Freeman to help you.
This educational video was brought to you by Tanya L. Freeman, a New Jersey Child Custody Attorney.
ABOUT TANYA FREEMAN
Tanya L. Freeman is a Principal in the firm’s Family Law Group. An accomplished client advocate, Ms. Freeman provides legal representation in all aspects of family law, including divorce, child and spousal support, child custody, interstate custody, relocation disputes and domestic violence matters.
ABOUT OFFIT KURMAN
Offit Kurman, one of the fastest-growing, full-service law firms in the United States, serves dynamic businesses, individuals and families. With 17 offices and nearly 250 lawyers who counsel clients across more than 30 areas of practice, Offit Kurman helps maximize and protect business value and personal wealth by providing innovative and entrepreneurial counsel that focuses on clients’ business objectives, interests and goals. The firm is distinguished by the quality, breadth and global reach of its legal services and a unique operational structure that encourages a culture of collaboration. For more information, visit www.offitkurman.com.
DELAWARE | MARYLAND | NEW JERSEY | NEW YORK | NORTH CAROLINA | PENNSYLVANIA |SOUTH CAROLINA | VIRGINIA | WASHINGTON, DC