Working professionals are sent dozens of emails on a daily basis. With so many emails flooding their inboxes, it can be difficult to grab their attention. Which is why it is of the utmost importance to understand effective email marketing techniques and how to use them to your advantage. Email marketing is a form of direct communication, in which a company delivers a commercial message to a list of people via electronic mail. Here are twelve simple steps for effective email marketing:
- Determine the goal. The goal serves as the purpose of the email. It is the starting point for the template, type of content and all other technical decisions to follow. Is the email to inform the audience? Then, the main text should be emphasized in a single column template. Is the email inviting the audience to a seminar? The time and location details should be easy to find, as well as the registration link.
- Know the target audience. Before starting an email marketing campaign, it is vital to understand who will be on the receiving end. During the email’s creation, the entire focus should center on what is most important to the audience and what would make them want to open the email, let alone read it.
- Maintain great lists. At the least, email lists should contain first names, last names and email addresses. It is important to have as many correct email addresses as possible. Not only can a high percentage of bounced messages be frustrating, it can cause the email marketing platform to crash and not deliver the email.
- Write an enticing “Email Subject”. Email subjects are often the deciding factor of whether or not a person opens the email. Spark curiosity with an enticing question or in the case of a list like this blog post, use numbers to summarize the content. And most importantly, avoid typing in all capital letters and using symbols. They have a tendency to send the email straight into the receiver’s spam folder.
- Personalize the “To” field. Most email marketing platforms have the option to personalize the “To” field. With one quick click, the receiver will now see their name auto populate alongside the salutation.
- Brand the email template. The company’s logo and coloring should be fluid throughout the entire email. Do not forget to keep the template clean and simple to read.
- Make it mobile friendly. According to HubSpot, 80.8% of users read their email on their mobile devices. This means every email needs to be mobilized for easy reading on the go.
- Add a “Call-to-Action” button. Call-to-Action buttons are a great way to declutter emails and make activities like subscribing a quicker, easier process. If the email is for an event, add a “Register Here” button that links the reader to the registration page. In the case of a blog or newsletter, always add a “Subscribe Here” button.
- Get creative. Sometimes it is the little, unique additions that make emails stand out from the rest. Personalize the email by taking a photo of the sender’s signature and inserting it into the text. If the email is informative, create an infographic to support it. In some cases, it is even possible to embed a video or an interactive quiz.
- Do not forget the social sharing icons. How else are the readers going to share the email? Make it easy for them to share the information on their social networks – that is unless it is an exclusive event invitation.
- Schedule at the appropriate send time for the target audience. Is this email going out to restaurant owners? Lunch or dinner time is probably not the best time to reach them. Executives of large companies? Try the before or after hours of their typical work week when they are not busy and in meetings all day.
- Analyze the results. 48 hours after the email is sent, review the report and analyze the results to make improvements for the next time around. Look for open rates of over 20%, click rates of over 2%, and bounce rates of under 2%. If the percentages do not fall in these ranges, try sending the email at a different time or rewriting the “Email Subject” line. After all, not every audience is alike and therefore require different customizations.
Email marketing can be one of the most effective ways to reach a large target audience, as long as time and effort are put into creating the email. With these twelve simple steps, email marketing can change from a daunting task to a fun and worthwhile investment.
Source: “The Ultimate List of Marketing Statistics.” HubSpot. Web. 9 Feb. 2016.
Written by Jim Ries | Practice Group Manager | Offit Kurman, P.A. | firstname.lastname@example.org Join the
ABOUT JIM RIES
Jim is an executive manager with over 30 years of experience in general management of product and service-orientated businesses. As Practice Group Manager at Offit Kurman, Jim is responsible for managing the performance, administrative functions, and business development initiatives and activities of the Mid-Market Business practice group. Working with the Practice Group Leaders, Jim is accountable for group compliance with the firm’s established practices and procedures, practice group reporting, measurement of group performance compared to budgeted objectives and participation in marketing driven business development initiatives. Jim is also the Global Vice Chairperson for Geneva Group International’s (GGI) Business Development & Marketing (BDM) Practice Group. As the Global Vice Chairperson, Jim presents on business development and marketing best practices, as well as encourages GGI’s members to engage in conversation relevant to implementing best practices for a successful business development and marketing plan. Geneva Group International (GGI) is a global alliance of independent, professional services firms. GGI’s nearly 500 members include law, accounting, management consulting, and trust companies in 118 countries. GGI Practice Groups allow professionals of various interests and disciplines around the world to discuss ideas, foster connections and generate business opportunities, all with the intent of improving their clients’ bottom lines. To learn more about Geneva Group International, visit ggi.com.
ABOUT OFFIT KURMAN
Offit Kurman is one of the fastest-growing, full-service law firms in the Mid-Atlantic region. With over 120 attorneys offering a comprehensive range of services in virtually every legal category, the firm is well positioned to meet the needs of dynamic businesses and the people who own and operate them. Our ten offices in the Mid-Atlantic region serve clients in the entire state of Maryland, the Washington DC metropolitan area, Northern Virginia, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York City. At Offit Kurman, we are our clients’ most trusted legal advisors, professionals who help maximize and protect business value and personal wealth. In every interaction, we consistently maintain our client’s confidence by remaining focused on furthering their objectives and achieving their goals in an efficient manner. Trust, knowledge, confidence—in a partner, that’s perfect.
You can connect with Offit Kurman via our Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, and LinkedIn pages. You can also sign up to receive Law Matters, Offit Kurman’s monthly newsletter covering a diverse selection of legal and corporate thought leadership content.
MARYLAND | PENNSYLVANIA | VIRGINIA | NEW JERSEY | NEW YORK | DELAWARE | WASHINGTON, DC