Tate Sterrett’s practice focuses on family law, particularly complex equitable distribution and alimony cases. He negotiates settlements of property divisions and support arrangements and litigates those cases that cannot be settled. He also mediates or arbitrates disputes for others.
Tate is a fellow and a certified arbitrator in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, the national organization that encourages the study and elevates the standards in the practice of matrimonial law. He is certified as a family law specialist by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, and a certified family financial mediator by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission.
- Divisible Property CLE (Mecklenburg County Bar, Family Law Section), Charlotte, NC March 21, 2018
- Writing Good Orders - What Judges Want Family Law Lawyers to Know About Drafting Orders CLE (Mecklenburg County Bar, Family Law Section), Charlotte, NC February 23, 2018
- Active/Passive Factors in Equitable Distribution (North Carolina Family Law Section Biannual Intensive Seminar), Wrightsville Beach, NC February 1, 2018
- Active/Passive Factors in Equitable Distribution (North Carolina Family Law Section Biannual Intensive Seminar), Greensboro, NC November 2, 2017
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
Best Lawyers in America, Family Law
- Lawyer of the Year, Family Law, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2022
Super Lawyers, North Carolina, Family Law, 2006-2021