Steve Lueker has both transactional and litigation experience, spanning a career of more than 20 years. Mr. Lueker helps guide his clients from the ground up, whether forming and structuring the best entity, hiring key executives, entering into software licenses, raising capital, litigating disputes, or acquiring or selling assets or equity. A considerable portion of his practice involves mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, technology transfers/licenses, and taxation. He has found that his transactional experience is insightful when litigating commercial issues. Conversely, his litigation experience, which is rare for many transactional attorneys, provides unique insights when drafting contracts.
Additionally, while most transactional attorneys do not understand tax considerations, Mr. Lueker's taxation knowledge is invaluable in structuring transactions where understanding and avoiding tax pitfalls can mean the difference between a successful deal or an insurmountable gap between the parties’ objectives. In addition to practicing law, Mr. Lueker worked at a large European investment bank where he formed and supervised three departments (a special situations group, a derivatives sales desk, and an insurance lending group), all of which involved structuring bespoke financing transactions. His responsibilities in running these departments allowed him to hone his business skills and strengthen his legal skills. He has found that many clients appreciate his business sensibilities as he provides legal services. His investment banking duties also entailed hedging risk (credit, interest rate, and currency risk) and analyzing risk-weighted assets and regulatory capital, the awareness of which serves him well in his work with financial institutions.
- “A ‘How-to Guide’ to Basic Derivatives, Swaps Clearing & Structured Products,” City Bar Center for Continuing Legal Education, January 2014
- “Risk-Based Capital Rules: Regulatory Changes and Its Impact on Your Bottom Line in 2015,” The Knowledge Group Live Webcast, March 2015
- "Private Equity Structuring: The Basics," City Bar for Continuing Legal Education, September 2015 and February 2018
- “The Mortgage Litigation Fight,” October 2014
- “Regulatory Capital and the Liquidity Coverage Ratio,” November 2014