Russell Berger is a business counselor serving the needs of small and mid-sized businesses as an outside general counsel and as a labor and employment attorney.
As outside general counsel, Mr. Berger is a strategic partner who helps growth-minded clients navigate the opportunities and challenges, seen and unseen, that come with running a business. A thoughtful and proactive problem solver, he leverages the resources of Offit Kurman to provide the exact experience and knowledge that clients need on a range of matters.
As a top-rated labor and employment attorney, Mr. Berger provides business counsel to employers on employee matters. He is well-versed in litigating in both state and federal courts.
Mr. Berger draws from his experience as a member of management at Offit Kurman to provide solutions to his clients that address legal issues and promote the growth of the business. He works diligently to solve the problems of owners and operators of business-to-business, professional service, technology, and other firms so that they can focus on what they do best - running and growing their business.
Whether he is providing general counsel services or using his own experience with employment issues, Mr. Berger’s goal is to provide value to his clients by helping them avoid legal issues in the first place and, should any problem arise, solving it in an efficient and pragmatic manner. Together, Mr. Berger and each client form a partnership that is invested in the client's success.
- Obtained dismissal of a class action lawsuit alleging unpaid overtime by successfully arguing that certain "training time" and pre-shift travel time was not actually hours worked.
- Audited clients wage and hour policies and was able to revise travel policies in a manner that saved client tens of thousands of dollars per year.
- Defeated attempts to convert individual minimum wage and overtime claims into class lawsuits, successfully preventing the addition of numerous claims, by highlighting the differences among several groups of laborers.
- Protected client by obtaining summary judgment in response to charges of employment discrimination by a skilled laborer.
- Assisted professional firms and other businesses with the myriad of challenges created by COVID-19, navigating compliance with new laws and preparing policies and procedures to guide the client through day to day operational issues.
- Drafted non-compete agreement that client was then able to leverage in order to protect its interest without the expense of litigation.
- By planning and adopting good policies and procedures, Russell has helped many employers reduce their legal risks with minimal costs and impact on operations.
“My goal is to become a strategic partner that business owners can rely upon when confronted with the opportunities and challenges, seen and unseen, that come with running a business. I want to help my clients achieve their goals.”
— Russell Berger
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
- In January 2020, Russell was promoted to the position of Department Chair, where he continues to supervise the chairs of other practice groups and works on strategic initiatives for the firm
- In January 2019, Russell was promoted to the position of Practice Group Director, where he supervised the chairs of other practice groups
- In January 2018, Russell was featured on the cover of the Daily Record for his interview in the article, "Employment attorneys prepare clients for paid sick leave law"; he was also featured in the Baltimore Business Journal's article, "Md. business owners under pressure to comply with new sick leave law"
- In 2017, Russell was promoted to the Chair of Offit Kurman's Labor and Employment Practice
- From 2012-2022, Russell was selected by Super Lawyers as a Maryland Rising Star. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement
- In the May 25, 2022 edition of Law360, Sarah Sawyer and Russell, published the article, Preventing Workplace Violence Is Not Just For The Oscars.