Mr. Ogens’ practice as family law attorney is focused on the negotiation, settlement, and litigation of family law matters in Maryland and the District of Columbia. He handles a variety of divorce matters, including separation and divorce, annulment, alimony and child support issues and analysis, child custody and visitation issues, and the identification, valuation, classification, and division of marital and non-marital property. He also provides preparation and analysis of separation and property settlement agreements and prenuptial agreements. His experience as a family law attorney helps him serve as an effective mediator and arbitrator in family law disputes.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
Mr. Ogens is a past president of the Maryland Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, an association of the nation’s top matrimonial lawyers from the 50 states who specialize in all issues relating to marriage and divorce. The Academy conducts local continuing legal education programs, participates in the legislative process and engages in a variety of other activities to serve the public and improve the practice of matrimonial law.
- Named Washington, D.C. Family Law Mediation "Lawyer of the Year" 2018 from "Best Lawyers in America". Only a single lawyer in each practice area and community is honored with a "Lawyer of the Year" award.
- Named as one of the "2017 Top Divorce Lawyers" by Bethesda Magazine in its July/August edition
- Named to the "Best Lawyers in America" listing in the Family Law category in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018-2019
- Named to the "Best Lawyers in America" listing in the Family Law Mediation category in 2016, 2018-2019
- Named to the "Best Lawyers in America" listing in the Family Law Arbitration category in 2018-2019
- Named to the "Maryland Super Lawyers" listing in 2008 – 2012, 2015-2018
- Named to the "Maryland Top 100 Lawyers" by Super Lawyers in 2012, 2015-2018
- Named to the "Washington DC Super Lawyers" listing in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012
- Named to Washingtonian's "Best Divorce Lawyers" listing in 2000, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2013
- Named to Bethesda Magazine's "Top Divorce Lawyers" listing in 2010 and 2013
Mr. Ogens is a certified family law arbitrator (AAML) and he often serves as a court appointed family law mediator for the Circuit Court for Montgomery County.
PUBLICATIONS / SPEECHES
Mr. Ogens is a frequent lecturer in family law for continuing legal education programs. Over the years he has given lectures on Tortious Interference with Custody, Access, and International Infliction of Mental Distress, the Marital Property Workshop, Maryland Law of Dissipation of Marital Assets, Family Law Around the Beltway, the Mental Health Privilege in Family Law Cases, Securing Possession of Real Estate from Non-titled Spouse and Changes in Family Law Practice.
Mr. Ogens was also quoted in the Washingtonian. Click here to read a copy of the article.