Mr. Bier serves as a steadfast advocate for privately held and, often, family-owned businesses and their entrepreneurial owners, guiding them through their most pressing business and corporate transactions. His practice focuses primarily on corporate transactions, which is complemented by work in the real estate industry.
Corporate: Mr. Bier has extensive M&A experience, not only in connection with his family business practice but also with Fortune 500 Companies during his many years working at national law firms including Greenberg Traurig, LLP, and Fox Rothschild LLP. As part of Fairleigh Dickinson University Silberman College of Business and the Rothman Institute of Entrepreneurship's New Jersey Family Business Awards, he plays a vital role in the due diligence process, interviewing the family business applicants. He is also an active member of the Family Firm Institute, the most influential global network of thought-leaders in the field of family enterprise. He is also well-versed in estate planning and trust administration issues, including business succession planning - a matter that affects nearly all families and other privately-held enterprises.
Real Estate: Mr. Bier has deep and varied experience handling all aspects of commercial and residential real estate transactions, as well as real estate acquisitions, development, and financing. Rick handles commercial leasing for office and industrial properties. He has also represented sponsors and building owners in connection with all phases of the process of converting residential and commercial properties to condominium status, including property acquisition and financing, regulatory compliance including the preparation of the offering prospectus and related documents and negotiation of same to approval, counsel, and advice relating to tenant issues as well as representation in connection with the ultimate sale of condominium units.
- Lead counsel in representing the owner/operator of a prestigious commercial office building in midtown Manhattan, in connection with two separate refinance transactions aggregating in excess of $50,000,000.
- Lead counsel in connection with representing the seller of a prestigious commercial office building in midtown, Manhattan, at a purchase price in excess of $240,000,000.
- Representation of a charitable foundation in connection with a two-stage acquisition of an office condominium located at United Nations Plaza at a total acquisition price exceeding $10,000,000.
- Representation of a large, well-known construction company in connection with the sale of its business at a purchase price in excess of $10,000,000.
- Lead counsel in connection with representing the owner/operator of a prestigious commercial office building in midtown, Manhattan, in connection with the negotiation and execution of a Ground Lease valued at in excess of $20,000,000.