Jonathan (“Jon”) Spaeth is a Principal attorney in the Commercial Litigation practice group. With more than 30 years of experience, Mr. Spaeth brings a unique blend of law firm and in-house experience to Offit Kurman.
Mr. Spaeth was a partner for many years at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer Feld LLP, where he conducted high-profile litigation for Fortune 100 and other large corporate clients. He then held a variety of senior in-house positions at public and private companies in the defense industry, including Raytheon Company. Mr. Spaeth later served as general counsel to the largest division of Zebra Technologies Corporation, where he negotiated the company’s highly publicized contract with the National Football League. Most recently, Mr. Spaeth has been general counsel and a partner at Centre Law & Consulting, LLC. Mr. Spaeth’s principal areas of expertise are Civil Litigation, Commercial Transactions and Contracts, Outsourced General Counsel work, and Government Contracts.
- Negotiated the licensing of Zebra Technologies Corporation’s player tracking technology to the National Football League.
- Lead counsel for IBM in a whistleblower action in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania alleging that the client defrauded the federal government of more than $100 million in violation of the False Claims Act and engaged in unlawful employment practices.
- Lead counsel for Albertson’s, Inc. in a nationwide class action race discrimination suit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Lead counsel for political organization in $5 million suit brought by political activist alleging he was assaulted by representatives of the Trump Campaign at a client-sponsored rally in violation of numerous state and federal laws.
- Acted as outsourced General Counsel to boodle, Inc., start-up providing artificial intelligence driven, next generation fundraising platform.
- Lead counsel for Banro American Resources, a Denver-based mining concern, in an arbitration proceeding before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes seeking $400+ million in damages from a foreign government in connection with the government’s expropriation of the client’s gold mining rights.
- Lead counsel for Osco Drugs in a privacy and consumer fraud class action in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois arising out of the alleged sale of plaintiff’s prescription/medical information to third parties.
- Lead counsel for Clark Construction in an action in D.C. Superior Court seeking to enjoin the client’s construction of a commercial office complex for alleged violations of historic preservation and environmental laws.
- Lead counsel for Robert Half International Inc. in actions in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and D.C. Superior Court in which the client was seeking enforcement of restrictive covenants against former managerial level employees. Lead counsel for Loomis Armored in an action in the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas alleging that the client’s employees stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from a cash delivery to a Philadelphia race track.
- Lead counsel for the tenants of the Tyler House Apartments, a large federally subsidized housing complex, in highly publicized class action suits in D.C. Superior Court and the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia against the clients’ absentee landlords.
- Defended AT&T in a $450 million misappropriation of trade secrets action in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.