Jared Johnson provides tax representation and guidance in complex tax laws and disputes, corporate transactions, reporting, asset protection, and cross-border issues. He regularly assists in compliance with regulations such as the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) and Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code.
Mr. Johnson works alongside high net worth business owners throughout the business lifecycle, from incubation and startup through growth and dissolution. In addition to his guidance on tax issues such as ERISA and 409A matters, he provides strategic direction on planning, formation, governance, drafting, and reporting for corporations, partnerships, and joint ventures.
Drawing on his fluency in multiple languages, Mr. Johnson advises clients on matters related to cross-border transactions, helping numerous family businesses and high net worth individuals minimize their risks and tax liabilities through strategic business administration, estate planning, and legacy planning. Additionally, he has worked with many of these clients and others to establish nonprofit organizations and other tax-exempt organizations, often serving as an officer on their boards.
Mr. Johnson holds a certificate in dispute resolution from the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law, the top-ranked school of its kind. One of his specialties is finding leverage in a dispute to force a settlement. However, having practiced extensively before the IRS and DOL in examinations and Tax Court litigation, he is prepared to fervently advocate for his clients in any setting. Mr. Johnson is also a Certified Public Accountant enabling him to better service his clients regarding tax issues.
Mr. Johnson’s clients have included private Fortune 100 companies; Cayman Island and U.S. banks and their clientele; project investors in oil and gas, real estate, mining, gems, and agriculture ventures; International Grammy-winning, Broadway, Hall of Fame, and platinum entertainers; professional and Olympic athletes; and federal judges and politicians.
Mr. Johnson speaks English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Prior to joining Offit Kurman, Mr. Johnson has worked and lived in Las Vegas (Nevada), France, Uganda, the United Kingdom, and Brazil.
- Served as lead counsel and principal in global oil & gas sales and purchases ($1B+)
- Served as lead counsel for asset planning and administration for private clientele net worth in excess of $1B
- Served as lead counsel for trust administration, planning, and reporting for various asset holdings ($1B+)
- Served as contract and lead tax counsel for sale of payment processing company ($100MM+)
- Conducted legal operations for worldwide digital currency system ($30MM+)
- Served as lead counsel for sales, purchases, and leases of real property on the Las Vegas Strip ($20MM)
- Served as counsel for major professional sports league investments ($20MM+)
- Represented a purchaser in the private purchase of a gaming town ($15MM+)
- Served as lead tax counsel for recording artist contract negotiations ($10MM)
- Served as lead counsel for purchase of a cosmetics company involving three countries on two continents ($5M)
SEMINARS AND ARTICLES
- ERISA Liens, National Business Institute, 2018
- Fiduciary Issues Regarding Target Date Funds, 401(k) Administrators, 2009
- Updates: PPA 2006 & New Tax Saving Opportunity, Western Pension & Benefits Conference, 2008
- IRS/DOL Voluntary Compliance Programs and New IRS Announcements, Western Pension & Benefits Conference, 2008
- “An Overview of Deferred Compensation: ERISA and the Code,” Nevada Lawyer, April 2016