James ("Jef") Edward Fagan, III is a seasoned litigator and counselor with over twenty-five years of experience as a practicing attorney. He has represented both small and large companies and has spent one half of his career as in-house counsel to two large governmental entities. He brings a mature and measured approach to legal matters, and his primary objective is the prompt and efficient resolution of disputes and legal concerns. Jef’s core practice areas are labor and employment, commercial litigation, government contracts and education law.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
In May 2018, James Fagan's article, "Department of Labor PAID Program: Amnesty Provision or Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing?," was published on NetAssets (Advancing Business and Excellence in Independent Schools).
Representative presentations and speaking engagements
- The Fair Labor Standards Act and the Loss of the 7(k) Exemption, Virginia Local Government Attorneys presentation, Spring 1998.
- Sovereign Immunity and the Obsession with the Eleventh Amendment, The Journal of Local Government Law, Virginia State Bar, Vol. X, No. 4, June 2000.
- Managing Requests for Records under The Virginia FOIA and Federal FERPA, March 2011.
- Workplace Leave – Updates to the ADA and the FMLA, May 2011.
- Search and Seizure in Public Schools in the Age of Bring your Own Device, September 2012.
- Municipal Purchasing Procedures and the Virginia Public Procurement Act, June 2013.
- Federal Investigation into English Language Learners Program, Virginia Local Government Attorneys presentation, March 2012.
- Municipal Classified Employees and the Virginia Conflicts of Interest Act, August 2014
- Preparing for a Compliance Visit Under a Department of Justice Settlement Agreement, August 2014.
James E. Fagan Published on NetAssets As Published on NetAssets.com In March, the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S.…