Mr. Johnson joins Offit Kurman as a Principal Attorney in the Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Creditor's Rights Litigation Practice group. Gregory has extensive experience in Bankruptcy litigation, having served as a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Trustee for over 20 years and having been appointed to more than 14,000 cases as a Chapter 7 Trustee. He has also represented debtors and creditors in Chapter 7, Chapter 13, and Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings. Mr. Johnson served as President, Bankruptcy Bar Association for the State of Maryland. Mr. Johnson also served as an Adjunct Professor at the law schools of Catholic University and the University of the District of Columbia and has been a program coordinator and/or a speaker for over 100 continuing legal education programs for local, state, federal bar associations, and professional associations.
He also received two national television awards as co-host for a public broadcast program entitled “Dollars & $ense,” which focused on money management and investment issues.
Mr. Johnson has also served as a licensed title insurance agent and real estate settlement attorney, handling commercial and residential real estate sales and refinance sales transactions.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
- Certificate of Appreciation by the U. S. Bankruptcy Court as Guest Speaker for Best Practices Forum (2006)
- Certificate of Appreciation by Washington Bar Association for Continuing Legal Education Seminars (2005)
- Certificate of Appreciation from Maryland Court of Appeals for exemplary service as a Member of the Peer Review Committee for the Attorney Grievance Commission (2005)
- Two national television awards as co-host for weekly Public Broadcast Program entitled “Dollars & $ense,” discussing money management issues (2000)
- Outstanding Lawyer’s Award from the Bankruptcy Law Section of the National Bar Association (1999)
- Appreciation Award for Contributions to Continuing Legal Education from the North Central Bankruptcy Institute of the Capital University Law Center (1999)
- Outstanding Service Award as President of the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the State of Maryland (1998)
- Appreciation Award by District of Columbia Bar Pro Bono Legal Services Program for conducting seminars and providing pro bono legal services (1997)
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEECHES
- “What is a ‘Briefing,' and Will it Reduce Filings?” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, (September 2005)
- “Bankruptcy Legal Fees: Dischargeable Debt Or Conflict Of Interest?” National Bar Association Magazine, Vol. 14, No. 3, 26 (December 2000)
- “Balancing Chapter 20 Filings With Good Faith Requirements,” National Bar Association, Bankruptcy Law Section, Issue No. 1, 2 (January/February 1999)
- "Following Strumpf - Will Allowance of an Administrative Freeze Begin the Erosion of the Automatic Stay?" Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 5, No. 2, 193 (January/February 1996)
- “Previewing Strumpf - Why an Administrative Freeze is Precluded by the Automatic Stay,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, p. 37 (October 1995)