Ms. Burns became passionate about pursuing a legal career in the cannabis industry while attending Vanderbilt Law School, as she had the opportunity to enroll in one of the nation's first Marijuana Law and Policy courses, taught by leading marijuana law and policy scholar, Professor Robert Mikos. Ms. Burns soon began assisting Professor Mikos with writing a first-of-its-kind casebook entitled Marijuana Law, Policy, and Authority, acquiring in-depth knowledge of the various state regulations governing cannabis consumers, producers, and other third parties. In addition to having expert knowledge of the complex legal issues presented by conflicting federal-state marijuana laws, Ms. Burns is also involved in marijuana policy reform efforts at the federal level. By incorporating her knowledge of marijuana policy with her understanding of the legal and regulatory environment, Ms. Burns is able to anticipate and identify potential legal concerns ex-ante.
Ms. Burns has worked with a diverse range of individuals and entities in both the public and private sector, including financial institutions, federal policymakers, and state regulatory agencies. She has researched and written on a wide range of legal and policy issues related to legalization, ranging from the availability of intellectual property rights in the cannabis industry to employment law protections for cannabis consumers, and the First Amendment implications of marketing and advertising restrictions. Ms. Burns recently completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Maryland School of Law, focusing on the public health policy aspects of legalization.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Investing in the Cannabis Industry...Buyer Beware, Cannabis Business Executive, (April 2018).
- In a Post-Prohibition World, Does the Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act Preclude “Medical Marijuana” Dispensaries?, Cannabis Business Executive, (February 28, 2018).
- Weed-Speak: Marijuana Marketing Do’s and Don’ts, Women Grow Philadelphia Chapter Meeting, (February 2018).
- The State of Legal Cannabis, Centennial Media Spotlight: Marijuana Goes Mainstream, (December 2017).
- Your Highness Podcast, Episode 10: Taking Experience from Other Industries and Applying it to Cannabis, (December 21, 2017).
- Affinity Bio Partners and Affinity BioCeuticals Medical Cannabis Clinical Trial Symposium, Philadelphia, PA (December 8, 2017).
- Speaker, Cannabis Banking Coalition Meeting, (May 2017).
- The Impact of State Preemption Provisions on Local Regulation of Tobacco Products, (Invited to present based on abstract submission), National Conference on Tobacco and Health, (March 2017).
- Dazed and Confused: Exploring the Hazy, Complex World of Legalized Cannabis, University of Maryland School of Law, Public Health Law Seminar, Baltimore, MD (discussing state packaging, labeling, and testing regulations for cannabis products), (November 2016).
- On 4/20, Top Minds Discuss Critical Issues in the Marijuana Policy Debate, BROOKINGS INSTITUTE FIXGOV BLOG: 4/20 SERIES (discussing the role of products liability litigation in shaping regulation of emerging cannabis industry), (April 2016).
- Moving Beyond Legalization to Regulation: Considerations for Tennessee Lawmakers, Tennessee Medical Cannabis Symposium, Nashville, TN (discussing various state regulations governing medical cannabis patients and medical providers), (February 2016).
IN THE NEWS
- Mother Knows Best: Can I Call the Police if Someone Steals My Personal Cannabis Plants?, Merry Jane, (March 2018).
- Cannabusiness Attorney Says 'It’s Safe To Assume Marijuana Will Be Legal At The Federal Level 5 Years From Now', Civilized, (February 2018).
- Frosh: Sessions decision on marijuana legalization 'inhumane', Baltimore Business Journal, (January 2018).
- Why Maryland cannabis businesses, lawyers aren't worried about DOJ changes, Baltimore Business Journal, (January 2018).
- Green Light Law Group: Providing Expert Legal Advice to Cannabusinesses and Ganjapreneurs, Viride Life, (December 2017).
- Intro to Medical Marijuana Patient Rights, Presto Doctor, (September 2017).
On Friday, federal lawmakers will decide the fate of the Rohrabacher-Blumenauer Amendment (formerly known as Rohrabacher-Farr), which currently protects state…
Frosh: Sessions decision on marijuana legalization ‘inhumane’ Cannabis Attorney Emily Burns Quoted in the Baltimore Business Journal By Morgan Eichensehr…
by Emily Burns (with research and support from Brad Bachman) In 1961, the United States Supreme Court held that…