Since 2005, Libby James has dedicated herself to assisting individuals with delicate, personal legal matters. Ms. James practices family law with an emphasis on alimony, post-separation support, equitable distribution, separation agreements, premarital agreements, child support, child custody, contempt motions, qualified domestic relations orders, name changes and domestic violence protective orders and appeals.
Ms. James is a fellow of the AAML (American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers) and is one of only 34 fellows in the state of North Carolina.
In addition to being certified as a family law specialist by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization, Libby is also certified by the Cooperative Parenting Institute as a Parent Coordinator.
As a mother of three, Ms. James knows the impact such difficult matters can have on children and does her best to ensure that the best interest of the children is the central concern in any divorce.
- Panelist, Effectively Arguing Contempt Issues, Advance Family Law forum hosted by the National Business Institute, Charlotte, NC (August 16, 2018)
- Tools for Your Toolbox: Litigating a Family Law Case - Direct and Cross-Examinations, North Carolina Advocates for Justice (February 2018)
- Family Law Section Annual Meeting, Case Law Update (2017)
- NCBA Annual Review, Family Law Update (2015)
- Family Law Section Annual Meeting, Case Law Update (2015)
- Family Law Section Annual Meeting, Case Law Update (2014)
- A different type of PC Legal Eagles: Parent Coordinators Assist in Conflict Resolution, QNotes, April 9, 2019.
- Learning from Jeff Bezos: Protecting your assets in a divorce, The Charlotte Business Journal, March 22, 2019.
- Common Reasons Marriages Fail (& How to Keep Yours Strong). Style Blueprint Atlanta, February 8, 2019. To read the complete article, please follow this link.
- 15 Money Mistakes to Avoid During a Divorce. The Reader's Digest, September 2018.
- Protecting Your Marriage, Even if the Trump Administration Won’t, QNotes, August 10, 2018.
- Why modern custody agreements look so different: 'Anything goes, as long as the children are happy'. The Chicago Tribune, March 12, 2018.
- What is the Role Parent Coordinators Play in a Divorce? QC Playground is Charlotte Five’s channel for parents in the "Queen City," June 19, 2017.
- 32 Signs Your Marriage Is Built to Last: You don't just love your partner — you also like them. Redbook, October 30, 2017.
- Berens v. Berens, 818 S.E.2d 155 (N.C. Ct. App. 2018) (argued at Court of Appeals)
- Comstock v. Comstock, 780 S.E.2d 183 (N.C. Ct. App. 2015) (as amicus curiae for North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence)
- Peeples v. Peeples, No. COA 14-1026, 2015 N.C. App. LEXIS 48 (N.C. Ct. App. Feb. 3, 2015)
- Hinshaw v. Kuntz, 760 S.E.2d 296 (2014)
- In re J.D., 234 N.C. App. 342, 759 S.E.2d 375 (2014)
- Belk v. Belk, 221 N.C. App. 1, 728 S.E.2d 356 (2012)
- In re K.O., 223 N.C. App. 420, 735 S.E.2d 369 (2012)
- Hibshman v. Hibshman, 212 N.C. App. 113, 710 S.E.2d 438 (2011)
- Maxwell v. Maxwell, 212 N.C. App. 614, 713 S.E.2d 489 (2011)
- Velasquez v. Ralls, 192 N.C. App. 505, 665 S.E.2d 825 (2008)
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2013-2019
- Super Lawyers, North Carolina "Rising Stars," Family Law, 2013-2019
- Legal Elite, Family Law, Business North Carolina, 2017, 2019
- ATHENA Corporate Leadership Honoree, 2017
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association: Board Certified Family Law Specialist (2010-present), Family Law Specialization Committee (2019-2020), Alimony Committee (Co-Chair 2019-2020), Domestic Violence Issues Committee, Co-Chair (2015-2016)
- Mecklenburg County Bar: Board of Directors, Member (2018-2021), Mecklenburg County Bar: Executive Committee (2019-2020), Family Law Section (Chair 2019-2020, Co-Chair 2018-2019), Pro Bono and Legal Services Committee, Member (2017-2019), Fee Dispute Resolution Committee, Member (2014, 2015, 2016), Grievance Committee, Member (2011, 2012, 2013), Young Lawyer’s Division, Past Membership Committee Co-Chair