Billy Cannon is Chair of Offit Kurman's Landlord Representation Practice Group. He represents property owners and property management companies in the District of Columbia and Maryland in state and federal court litigation, mediations, and administrative agency hearings and also assists with leasing, transactions and Fair Housing Act compliance. Mr. Cannon is certified in Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Compliance (LIHTC) and represents many LIHTC properties and other affordable housing providers. Additionally, Mr. Cannon represents sellers and purchasers in transactions, with a particular emphasis on the District of Columbia Tenant Opportunity to Purchase Act (TOPA). Mr. Cannon handles TOPA compliance and litigation, as well as other litigation arising out of the purchase and sale of real property. Mr. Cannon also handles appellate matters for property owners and property management companies.
Mr. Cannon is a member of the District of Columbia Bar Association, Maryland Bar Association, and the Real Estate, Housing and Land Use Section of the District of Columbia Bar Association. Mr. Cannon serves as a mentor for the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program and is a member of the Barristers and the National Association of Real Property Managers.
Mr. Cannon hosts a one minute weekly video series, The D.C. Property Management Minute, which concentrates on the unique set of laws impacting property managers in the District of Columbia.
Mr. Cannon also coaches CYO basketball, soccer, and youth baseball and is co-president of the Fathers’ Club at the Church of the Little Flower in Bethesda, MD. Mr. Cannon is a member of the Gonzaga Business Network and a past president of the Catholic Business Network of Montgomery County, the Loyola Club of Washington and the Loyola University Maryland Alumni Regional Board.
POINTS OF DISTINCTION
Mr. Cannon was recognized as a Maryland Rising Star from 2012-2018 by Super Lawyers, a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
PRESENTATIONS & ARTICLES
- D.C. Landlord Tenant Law Update Seminar, September 2018, Washington D.C.
- D.C. Landlord Tenant Law Update, Greater Capital Area Association of Realtors, August 2018, Rockville, MD
- Best Practices Regarding the Eviction Procedure Reform Emergency Act, Webinar, July 2018, Bethesda, MD
- Overview of DC Landlord Tenant Law, National Association of Real Property Managers, May 2018, Washington, D.C.
- "Reminder from the White House for DC Property Owners: Register Your Properties," Property Management Association Bulletin, April 2018
- Best Practices Regarding the Fair Criminal Screening for Housing Act, Webinar, September 2017, Bethesda, MD
- Top Litigated Issues in the LIHTC Program & Section 8 Housing, Mid Atlantic Affordable Housing Management Association Conference, May 2017, Rockville, MD
- Best Practices Regarding the Residential Lease Clarification Amendment Act, Webinar, April 2017, Bethesda, MD
- Best Practices Regarding the Late Fee Fairness Amendment Act, Webinar, November 2016, Bethesda, MD
- Presenter at Mid-Atlantic Affordable Housing Management Association Conference on District of Columbia and Maryland Landlord Tenant Law, May 2016, College Park, MD
- “The Proposed Rental Housing Late Fees Fairness Amendment Act of 2016,” Property Management Association Bulletin, Volume 44, No. 4, April 2016
- Presenter at Mid-Atlantic Affordable Housing Management Association Conference on District of Columbia and Maryland Landlord Tenant Law, November 2015, Richmond, VA
- Presenter at Mid-Atlantic Affordable Housing Management Association Conference on District of Columbia and Maryland Landlord Tenant Law, April 2015, College Park, MD
- Presenter at Lorman Education Services Seminar on District of Columbia Landlord Tenant Law, May 2014, Washington, D.C.
- Presenter on District of Columbia Landlord Tenant Law at the Property Management Association Expo, April 2014, Washington, D.C.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Cannon taught English at his alma mater, Gonzaga College High School, from 2001-2008. After law school, Mr. Cannon served as a law clerk to the Honorable William P. Greene, Jr., chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.
"D.C. Property Management Minute: What You Need to Give an Applicant to a Residential Property in D.C"
When it comes to property management, the District of Columbia has a unique set of laws. Join Billy each week as he gives you advice on dealing with a common property management problem in D.C. and how to quickly solve it.
The DC Council passed emergency legislation entitled the “Federal Worker Housing Relief Emergency Act of 2019” unanimously, on January 22nd, 2019.
Recently, it came to light that the Kushner Cos. allegedly filed false documents with New York City. The documents stated…