Ryan Boland is a principal attorney who represents corporations, financial institutions (including Fortune 100 companies), and individuals in the areas of complex commercial litigation, corporate litigation and banking law. He also has experience in prosecuting and defending non-competition and non-solicitation clauses (restrictive covenants), as well as real estate litigation, employment litigation, and various other types of civil litigation. Mr. Boland also handles intellectual property law cases, including preparing, filing, and prosecuting federal trademark applications and arbitrating Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) disputes, as well as transactional matters, including preparing forbearance agreements, loan documents, agreements of sale, and corporate formation documents.
Mr. Boland earned his a Bachelor of Arts in business administration from Franklin & Marshall College in 2003. While in school, he helped create a new seminar, Human Rights—Human Wrongs, which was listed in the Spring of 2011 U.S. News & World report as one of the 10 classes that impact the outside world. As a student in the class, he helped numerous people from Sierra Leone and Uganda to achieve political asylum.
Mr. Boland served as a law clerk to the Honorable Kevin A. Hess in the Cumberland County Court of Common Pleas. After graduating, he was a law clerk to the Honorable Arnold L. New in the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas.
In addition, Mr. Boland spent over four years as an associate with a large national law firm practicing commercial litigation, banking law, class actions, and professional liability.
In 2012, Mr. Boland was appointed by the chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association to a three-year term in the Investigative Division of the association’s Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention. Ryan has also served as a volunteer through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) where he assisted low income individuals with preparing income tax returns.
- Represents lenders and borrowers in workout and recovery phases of multi-million dollar commercial financing transactions
- Represented financial institution in prosecution of fraud and breach of contract claims against one of the world’s largest oil conglomerates and obtained successful resolution of claims
- Successfully defeated a petition for a preliminary injunction seeking the enforcement of a non-compete and non-solicitation clause and obtained dismissal of complaint
- Successfully obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of a franchisor enforcing a non-compete and non-solicitation clause
- Successfully obtained voluntary dismissal of a securities fraud action against a broker
- Successfully obtained voluntary dismissal of fraud and unjust enrichment claims against a financial institution
- Represent individuals in litigation involving asset purchase agreement
- Successfully executed on and obtained title to commercial and residential real property to enforce judgments on behalf of successful litigants.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “50 State Class Action Compendium,” co-author of the Pennsylvania Chapter for the Defense Research Institute, March 2011
- Comment: Arbitration Clauses in the Face of Class Actions and the Class Action Fairness Act, 5 J. Am. Arb. 348 (2006)
- Course planner and speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 19th Annual Business Lawyers’ Institute: Exculpatory and Limitation of Liability Clauses (November 2013)
- Course planner and speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s 20th Annual Business Lawyers’ Institute: How to Get the Most out of Your Support Staff (2014)
- Speaker at the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s CLE entitled Communicating with Colleagues and Clients (2015)