With extensive experience at the national and regional levels, Joyce Kuhns brings her in-depth knowledge in delivering creative solutions to help transform financial challenges to successful outcomes. Whether representing debtors, creditors, creditors committees or equity committees, trustees or regulators, Joyce’s understanding of the complexities of financial and business structures and her skill with in court and out-of-court resolutions enables her to provide critical strategic advice from the boardroom to the courtroom and to a broad spectrum of clients including buyers and sellers of distressed assets and debts as well as directors and officers of companies in crisis. A pragmatic problem-solver, Joyce uses her cross-disciplinary legal skills to meet the daily business needs of her clients and to help reshape their future.
Joyce is frequently invited to lecture before national and international trade groups on restructuring issues and has published in regional and national publications on these issues. She has testified before Congress on key legislation in the restructuring industry.
Honors and Awards
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America list, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor
- Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Bankruptcy Litigation, 2007 to present
- Named to The Daily Record’s list of “Top 100 Women in Maryland,” 2013
- Selected for inclusion in Maryland Super Lawyers Magazine, 2008 to present
- "Who’s Who in Bankruptcy," Baltimore Business Journal, 2001
- Advised regulatory authority on expedited recapitalization and restructuring of entity in the financial services sector that managed billions of dollars in assets.
- Represented Equity Committee in Chapter 11 cse of largest mall owner and operator in the United States and spinoff of its development assets to newly-created public company. The complex restructuring and successful emergence of the company resulted in over $5.6B in recovery to equity.
- Negotiated successful resolution of fraudulent transfer actions against former officers and directors arising from complex multibillion dollar LBO and IPO transactions.
- Led out-of-court refinancing and restructuring of one of the largest restaurant franchisees in the United States.
- Negotiated successful resolution of fraudulent transfer action against a group of affiliated real estate entities in a complex real estate exchange transaction that received funds originating in a Ponzi scheme.