Mr. Fineburg is recognized as one of Philadelphia's most respected business lawyers whose substantial knowledge of tax law provides clients with strategic and cost-saving benefits in connection with commercial transactions, taxation and wills, trusts and estates matters. Known for his ability to resolve complicated matters effectively, Mr. Fineburg has assisted businesses and individuals with the organization of their finances, business and real estate affairs, and the structure of their assets (i.e., in LLCs, partnerships, corporations, trusts or joint ownership). He has substantial expertise in the preparation of buy-sell agreements for co-owners who are family members or are unrelated business partners. In addition, to working on bank financings, business contracts and employment matters for his business clients, Mr. Fineburg also provides advice on business acquisitions and sales, and the resolution of shareholder and partner disputes and buy-outs. Mr. Fineburg, who began his law career as a commercial litigator and bankruptcy lawyer, frequently provides litigation counsel and assistance to a wide range of firm clients. His articles have appeared in the Pennsylvania CPA Journal and the Journal of S Corporation Taxation and he is an editor of Volume 7A, "Estate Planning for Businesses" of Rabkin & Johnson Current Legal Forms with Tax Analysis. A graduate of Washington University in St. Louis, Mr. Fineburg received his law degree from the University of Missouri and a Master of Laws in Taxation (LL.M) from the New York University School of Law, Graduate Division.
Mr. Fineburg is the Managing Shareholder of the Philadelphia office and is also a member of the Board of Directors at Offit Kurman.
Publications, Speeches, and Speaking Engagements
- "What Can Happen If You Do Not Do Proper Estate Planning" From the Desk of Herb Fineburg (October 28, 2015).
- "What Do You Mean My Sale Isn't 100% Cash & Carry?" Presentation at XPX-Philadelphia October breakfast meeting, Pyramid Club, Philadelphia, PA (October 21, 2015).
- "The 11th Hour Estate Plan" Presentation at XPX-Philadelphia September breakfast meeting, Pyramid Club, Philadelphia, PA (September 16, 2015). Click here for video footage.
- "Innovative Use of Trusts for State Income Tax, Estate and Asset Protection Planning"Presentation at The Bryn Mawr Trust Company breakfast seminar, Haverford, PA, (May 13, 2015).
- "Business Killers" Presentation for a Vistage Group, Villanova, PA, (March 10, 2015).
- Is NOW the Time? What is Your Business Actually Worth and How Much Do You Need to Retire?" Panel, Offit Kurman, Philadelphia, PA, (February 23, 2015).
- "The Necessity of Estate Planning - Addressing the Misconception That Trusts are Complicated" Seminar, Karr Barth Associates, Inc., Bala Cynwyd, PA, (December 5, 2014).
- "The Necessity of Estate Planning - Addressing the Misconception That Trusts are Complicated" Seminar, First CornerStone Bank, King of Prussia, PA, (November 5, 2014).
- Inherited IRAs No Longer Protected Unless You Name A Trust As Beneficiary Or A Spousal Rollover Is Elected. Offit Kurman Legal Resources Articles, 2014.
- Litigation Support: Limited Privilege Extended to Tax Advisor, Pennsylvania CPA Journal (Winter 1999).
- Signature of the Future: The Eyes May Have It, The Legal Intelligencer (Fall 1999).
- Faculty Panelist, How to Make the Most Effective Use of Family Limited Partnerships: Strategies and Pitfalls in the Current Environment, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Philadelphia Bar Association (1999).
- Accountant’s Papers Protected by Attorney-Client Privilege, Journal of the Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs (Winter 1998).
- Panel Moderator, Symposium on Pass-Through Entities: The Legal and Accounting Aspects, sponsored by the American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants (1998).
- Passive Activity Losses Under the 1986 Act, Pennsylvania CPA Journal, Fall 1987, at 13. Carryover of Disallowed S Corporation Losses and Deductions, Journal of S Corporation Taxation (Warren, Gorham & Lamont, Winter, 1994).
- Estate Planning Update, sponsored by the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accounts (1994).
- Estate Tax Audits, Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs (1993).
- Multi-Borrower Loan Transactions: Legal Issues and Strategies, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
- Federal Estate Tax Planning, sponsored by Mellon Bank (1992).
- Year End Tax Planning, sponsored by The Wharton School Alumni, University of Pennsylvania (1989).
- Annual Federal Tax Conference, Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs (1986 and 1987).
- Pension, Retirement and Compensation Planning after the Tax Reform Act of 1986, Pennsylvania Institute of CPAs (1987).
- Municipal Borrowing after the Tax Reform Act of 1986, sponsored by Mellon Bank (1986).
- Municipal Borrowing After Tax Reform, Co-author (The Winchell Company, October 1986).
- Grasping Pennsylvania's Inheritance and Estate Tax Act, Pennsylvania CPA Journal, Fall 1984, at 7.
Awards and Recognition
- Finalist for the 14th Annual M&A Advisor Awards. September 2015.
New Partnership Audit and Collection Law From The Desk Of Herb Fineburg On September 8, 2016 I was a guest…
From The Desk Of Herb Fineburg In light of proposed changes to IRS regulations, It is recommended that you complete…
From The Desk Of Herb Fineburg For those of you who have no estate plan, you may be surprised to…
From The Desk Of Herb Fineburg To the great relief of Pennsylvania taxpayers, on December 31, 2015 the Pennsylvania Capital…
From The Desk Of Herb Fineburg Recently trending in business headlines is the story involving the change in the leadership,…
From The Desk Of Herb Fineburg The oldest last wishes or last will and testament is thousands of years old. …
From The Desk Of Herb Fineburg At this time of the year, charitable giving is big news. As many of…
From the Desk of Herb Fineburg Legal sources show “estimates that probate costs American families $2.0 Billion a year –…
Co-Authored by Herbert R. Fineburg and Sheldon H. Eveloff Every informed business owner or investor should have an “exit strategy”…